In 2020, you might want to consider making some changes in your energy consumption as part of your New Year’s resolutions. With reduced energy usage, you can shrink both your carbon footprint and your monthly energy bills. This is a significant change that will benefit your household as well as the environment.
Optima Home Inspections, a trusted home inspection specialist, shares a simple guide to conserving energy in your home below.
Since these changes don’t require planning, you can start them this month, this week or even today!
- Check if there are still incandescent lights in your home. If there are, switch to compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) or light-emitting diodes (LEDs). CFLs can save about 75% of the electricity used by incandescent lights.
- Turn off the lights and unplug appliances or equipment that are not in use.
- Install a programmable thermostat so that the temperatures in your home can be automatically adjusted based on your schedule.
- Have your heating and cooling systems assessed by a professional. Find out if replacements are necessary to ensure they’re working efficiently and not consuming more energy than they’re supposed to.
- Schedule an energy audit so that you can get a better picture of your home’s energy consumption.
For the following home energy to-dos, some research and planning is necessary to help you avoid costly mistakes. It’s important to know your options well.
- If you have appliances that are up for replacement, make it a point to shop for energy-efficient products. Look for the ENERGY STAR® label.
- Insulate your walls and attic. Insulation can make a huge difference in your home.
- Inspect your windows for leaks. Opt for energy-efficient replacement windows, or boost your existing windows’ efficiency with weatherstripping.
Optima Home Inspections provides quality inspections to ensure that you have a clear picture of the current condition of your home. Along with home inspections, we also offer other services like roof replacement and radon testing. Call us at (845) 849-1369 or fill out our contact form to schedule a consultation.